Oct 21, 2008

Dell Inspiron 1525 running Intrepid 8.10

href="http://www.ubuntu.com/">Countdown von Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid ibex)Well I received my new Dell Inspiron 1525 and thought I would upgrade to Intrepid right away because I need empathy voice (gtalk). I hit AltF2 and typed in "update-manger -d" and received over 1 gig of data. Restarted and no sound. SAD! I phoned Dell at their Ubuntu support number 1866-662-1947 and they tried to pass me off to windows support because my Express Service Code told them I had a windows laptop. 35 minutes later they agreed to help me asked me to go to termial. Waiting eagerly to type something they instead sent me to linux.dell.com and tried to get me to click on Ubuntu on Dell and type "sound" in the search field which got me to sound problem page - still no sound. SAD! So, Dell help told me it was not a hardware issue so they couldn't help me. SAD Believeing in the Open Source Idea I thought I would got to Launchpad so see if this was a bug. It is. GREAT! typing in "pulseaudio -k" tells me the kernel as "failed to find dlopen loader."
Solution
Go to System > Preferences > Sound and change every field to ALSA

Now I am happily using gtalk to do my VOIP over XMPP

6 comments:

  1. How did you get 8.10 to work on 1525? I've tried ugrading from 8.04 and doing a clean install but it didnt work. GDM was crashing big time...Now I am back to 8.04...should I upgrade?

    nn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just typed in "uname -a" and it says I have the 2.6.27-7-generic kernel and now under System > Preferences > Appearance I can now enable Extra Visual Effects. My GDM gets better with each kernel.
    Jabber me for more info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 on my Inspiron 1525 and I am wondering if you had either of the following problems-

    1. The wifi light blinks rather annoyingly (though there is a "fix" for 8.04 on the Dell Ubuntu wiki)

    2. When I mute, I hear cackling. Have you had this problem with the sound? I too had changed everything in the sound controls (alsa, hda, etc). Nothing helped.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Works for me too :)
    Intrepid Ibex on Inspiron 1525

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I'm running intrepid amd64 on Inspiron 1525 and works like a charm, sound, wifi, usb, etc.

    However, even when it seems the video works great with high definition, when I try to run software which relays on openGL to do fancy things, screen blinks and everything show up and dissapear constantly until I close that software.

    Any ideas?

    My card according to lspci is:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have have the same graphics hardware. I find also for some programs I have to disable Compiz and switch to Metacity. I know it is hard to give up all the settings you have made in System > Preferences > Conpizconfig

    ReplyDelete